Rabbits/Pepper's nose bloody this morning!Help!

Thanks for your answer. We did do x-rays and it didn't show his teeth blocking the duct. This morning we woke up and there's red blood that looks like it's coming out of his nostrils. I tried to look up inside and the mucus looks bloody, but maybe he just scratched his nose trying to get dried mucus off during the night. Have you seen anything like this before? Could he have sneezed too hard and broken blood vessels in his nose?
On a side note, we were putting acidophilus with bifidus and FOS in his pumpkin because he's on antibiotics while he's been ill. Is that okay? He seems to be sneezing a whole lot more. What could this be?

Dear Kimberly

It's pretty much impossible for me to know that this might be over the internet.  But I will say this really sounds as if he has a foreign body up his nose.  A radiograph might not show a radio-translucent object, such as a piece of hay or other item that could be causing a lot of grief and pain.

Please ask your vet about doing an endoscopic examination of the nasal cavities.  If s/he can't do it, perhaps s/he can refer you to someone who can.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology