Rabbits/why is my rabbit acting out biting, scratching, and chewing things.

Hello i have a question i just bought a rabbit from the pet store its a younger rabbit  its been a week since i got him and all week he has been fine he lay'd next to me and played with his chew toys nd everything was fine now all of a sudden he is chewing my carpet ( we let him have a room to himself) and when i slap the floor he stops and looks at me and starts again he has been scratching at the corner and then he starts to run everywhere like he got scared from something also i put him in a cage at night so he doesn't chew.the carpet he did nor have a problem with it till now he starts bitting the cage metal part and fliping out in the cage you think it could have anything to do with his teeth please help me i love him to death and in trying to understand him

Dear Shyanne,

Young rabbits are naturally rambunctious and they can be destructive.  The behavior you describe is quite normal, though it will slow down and eventually stop when bun is older.

In the meantime, if he's male, then having him neutered will help curb his destructive, hormonally-driven behavior.  Please read:

Also, the tips here should help protect your house while bun goes through those difficult "teen months" (which--as with dogs and cats--can last until the bunny is 18-24 months old, especially if not spayed/neutered).

For all the best information for learning to understand your bunny, please go to:

Here to a happy, healthy, long life together!

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology