Rabbits/Do I seek a 2nd Vet Opinion??

Question
I noticed you stated you didn't have any rex knowledge but I think this is a general question for any breed.

We obtained a mini-rex doe during a local show. Over the two months we have had her, she has sporadic sneezes. Over two years we had two other rabbits display this same sneeze. NO eye/nasal discharge. It didn't matter if they were indoors, outdoors, on pine shavings, grass or suspended in their wire run.

Two days from a show she began having a heavy, clear nasal discharge. She went to the vet the next day (no, none of our local vet's are rabbit experienced). Although he was concerned about "snuffles" he didn't run any tests only checked her over (no temp)and looked up info on the computer.

His suggestion was to monitor her and call back if she worsened and he could administer an antibiotic. He also gave me the name of some material to add to all of the herds water as a cure-all preventative. Can't find it anywhere w/i 50 miles of me....

The next day her runny nose was gone and hasn't returned; that was two weeks ago. The rest of our herd is housed separately and they haven't sneezed.  

Can rabbits just have allergies, maybe polyps? Should I get a second opinion??

The irony of this; I'm allergic and they set off my asthma at shows but my girls love what they're doing!!

Answer
Hello there.
Lots of rabbit breeders seen to experience this every so often.
I would think that there may be something in the air that sets off a sneezing attach.
Sometimes my rabbits drink their water too fast and start sneezing.
If there is no discharge for a few weeks I think it will be ok.
Any discharge from the nose my mean the snuffles which may come & go.
So tbe next time you see discharge have a vet  test it, antiboitics may work.
Good luck

Rabbits

Dan Vallo

I have been raising Rabbits for over 25 Years and have raised all the breeds mentioned above along with a few others. I have been a member of the ARBA ( American Rabbit Breeders Accociation) www.arba.net since 1985.I currently have a 1300 sqft barn that is Heated and colled to maintain 7o degrees all year long. We show our rabbits all over The USA and have been in the top ten breeders during the last 5 years in several different breeds.

ARBA. NM State Rabbit and Cavy Breeders, American Checkered Giant Rabbit Club, Southwest Checkered Giant RC, Champagne De` Argent RC, National Polish RC, Sandoval County Livestock commitee.

ACGRC Bulletin, CDARF monthly news bulletin,

I Worked with a vet for several Years.

top ten rabbit breeder Checkered Giant rabbit club. #1st sweepstake winner Champagne Rabbit club 2007, #10 in 2006 top 15 in 2005,Ranked # 4 in points standings for 2008. Top points standing in New Mexico for Champagne de`Argent & Checkered giant rabbbits past 5 years