Rabbits/Strange Sickness in Dwarf Rabbit

Question
We have a seven year old dwarf male rabbit.  He has always been very active and attention demanding.  When we come near his cage, he often jumps up, frisks around, stomps his feet, and grunts.  

One morning, he was lying down, pushing his back feet out behind him, shaking a little, and didnít get up when I came.  About two hours later, he seemed better!  Early one morning, a few weeks later, he had the same problem.  However, this time he was breathing hard and making little grunts.  He was doing better a few hours later.  

A couple of times I have also seen him start jerking and vibrating for a moment and then stop.  Before long, he is bouncing around like usual.  We would like to know what is wrong and if there is anything we could do about it.  Thanks.

Answer
Dear Rachel,

He might just be dreaming.  But just in case, please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

and find a good rabbit vet here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

Better to be safe than sorry.  Might be wise to take him in for a full wellness check.  That way, you'll at least have a baseline and a starting relationship with a vet who knows rabbits.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.