Rabbits/I think my rabbit is pregnant again.

Question
My lionhead doe had babies about 4 weeks ago. We had the male seperated but our temps got way below zero, like -30. I live in Minnesota, so we moved their cages into our heated garage, they both got out of their enclosures and now she is nesting again. Do I need to remove the babies? will they harm the new babies and I thought they had to nurse for 8 weeks? i am new to this, we are not breeding. The male was supposed to get fixed but had to reschedule due to bad weather. I hope you can help me.
Thanks
Nicole

Answer
Dear Nicole,

Yikes.  Well, it's possible she is going to have babies again.  If this happens, you'll have to monitor the time she spends with the four-week old babies, and probably let them have a chance at her milk only after the new litter has had a chance to fill up.  It's not ideal to wean them this young, and you might have to supplement their feeding, especially with the colostrum.  Please find instructions here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

and

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/surpriselitter.html

I hope you can get the boy neutered as soon as possible.  It's important that he not get to her a third time, as that would be bad not only for the babies, but for mama.

Good luck!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.