Rabbits/Cancer in Rabbits

Question
Hi Dr Krempels

My 8 year old Rex male was diagnosed with Leiomyosarcoma of the intestines today.  I was told that it has already spread to his lungs.  Are there any treatments available for Rabbits?  I am feeling helpless that I can't do anything to help my boy.

Thank you

Elaine

Answer
Dear Elaine,

I am very sorry about this sad diagnosis.   Sadly, chemotherapies are not well developed for rabbits.  In most cases, the "cure" ends up being worse than the disease, speeding a downhill spiral and making the bunny very sick in the end.  I've never heard of chemotherapy being successful for a rabbit.

Radiation might help if this were a single lesion.  But if the cancer has already spread to his lungs, it's Stage Four.  That means he probably has limited time left.

I am so sorry.  But at this point, if this were my bunny, I would give him all the loving care, spoiling and everything he wants for as long as possible.  Pain management is essential, and your vet can suggest/provide various types of analgesia, with stronger ones necessary as the condition becomes worse.

This is as hard and bad as having a human family member diagnosed with a terminal condition, and my heart goes out to you.  I hope your remaining time together is filled with love.

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.