Rabbits/escape artisit

Hi we have a domestic rabbit that it is almost 1 1/2 yrs old.  She is great.  Loves to be pet but not held.  She has a habitat that is 5' by 8' with a cage that she goes into at night and when we are out.  We are in and out with her daily.  Suddenly she is trying to escape her pen.  she is trying to jump her 3 ft walls.  She is a chewer and we cant having her running loose.  I Think she just wants to be with us.  Can we put her on a leash or harness to have her out with us at night.  Or is this just a phase that will pass.   It is like someone flipped a switch?  Thanks.

Hi Mary,

I do not recommend a harness because they can break their spines if they move wrong.  The best I can offer is to put a top on her cage.  You can try placing her in an area where she can see you it may help.  Is there anything new to the environment?  Something may be scaring her.  Even a new dog in the neighborhood?  Try giving her toys to play with.  An old telephone book with help her with her digging, yes it will make a mess but way easier to fix than a carpet.  They also like boxes.  They chew on them and they also like to hide in them.  The only problem with boxes is that if you don't have a top on the cage that will make it that much easier for her to escape.  

I hope these activities help.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.