Last Friday I adopted a 2 month old dwarf bunny and on Monday  she was not eating so I took her to an emergency vet, she was diagnosed with Gi stenosis. We finally made it home with metoclampride, baytrl, meloxicam and critical care at 7 am Tuesday. We also made an appointment with a vet Tuesday at 2pm. X rays confirmed Gi stenosis and the vet lowered all her doses and told me to use fresh pinapple juice also. I gave her the meds and critical care all day, she stared eating on her own around 11pm. The next day she started eating the fresh vegtables, both vets said to feed her a limitless amount to get fiber in her and keep things going. Thursday I called the vet and he said it was ok to stop all other meds just keep her on the baytrl. tonight her stool had seemed much smaller again and she was very fussy. She is also only eating the fresh veggies and tons of them along with her pellets. Could I be giving her to much fresh vegtables? She will not even touch her timothy hay and is drinking a very small amount of water. I removed her pellets so maybe she will start eating the hay I also put a water bowl in her cage and started her back on my meds and will keep checking on her through out the night. I really do not know what to do the first vet said 7 days at 0.7ml of metoclampride the second vet said only 0.25 ml for 3 days I am thinking I should keep her on it it for the full 7 days. If you have any advice I would appreciate it Thank you for your time.

Dear Jennifer,

I hope you mean GI stasis, not stenosis.  Stenosis would mean that her GI tract has narrowed, and that would not only be unusual, but much more dangerous than stasis/ileus.  Please read:

Remember that ileus is a *physiological reaction* to pain/stress/illness, not a primary illness.  So your vet will need to find out what is causing the stress and triggering the ileus.  A very common cause is dental disease:

another is improper diet:

but too many greens is not likely the problem (unless they are not well washed, and have introduced harmful bacteria into her GI tract).

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology