Rabbits/Rabbit constantly shifting, small black spot, and wet tail

I recently adopted a two year old rabbit. She hadn't been spayed by the original owner so I took her in about a month ago. Everything went fine, she got the antibiotic shots and every and quickly recovered. Last night I felt a piece of really hard what I think could've been matted fur. It was jutting out of a very dark round scab. I left it alone not wanting to pull it out and this morning it was gone but the black spot was still there with only the spine of either the fur or whatever it was inside. Also, she hasn't been able to get comfortable. She continual lies flat on her stomach but will no sooner pop up and shift. I let her out of her cage to see if she needed more stretching room but still she continues to seem uncomfortable. I also noticed the bottom her tail is wet. This could probably be indigestion related? It's hard for me to tell if she's pooped at all since yesterday but I believe she has.

I know the immediate answer should be to take her to a vet but until then is there anyway I can make her more comfortable?

Thank you so much for your time,

Dear Nancy,

Getting her to the vet is the most important thing.  Until she can get some analgesics, she'll have a hard time getting comfortable.  For abdominal pain (this sounds to me like a possible urinary tract infection or other UT problem, but only an in-person veterinary exam can really confirm anything like this), Banamine is fantastic.  Many vets won't use it off-label, but we've found it's amazing for pain relief in rabbits.

Please see:

and if she is not producing poop, or if her appetite diminishes, please see:

You can find a rabbit vet here:

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology