Rabbits/Rabbits, Passover and keeping kosher

Question
my female rabbit is to give birth this week  and i keep passover what can i feed the rabbit it say on  the kosher site to give  pure alfalfa for passover is that safe and if so how much and what brand or how do i make my own rabbit mix i do know what to feed my rabbit till passover

Answer
Dear Adrienne,

Since I do not know the dietary rules regarding feeding domestic animals during Passover, please help me out and let me know what you are NOT allowed to feed her.  I can then give you better guidance.

For now, I suspect that a high-quality alfalfa pelleted food such as that sold by Oxbow (Bunny Basics or Bunny Basics T) would be fine.  If fresh vegetables are allowed, then please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

and see what things on this list are allowed.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.