Rabbits/DOES

Question
Hi

I have just taken in two rabbits mum and daughter i believe. The reason i have taken them in is one i love rabbits and i have two of my own as pets and two the person who had them was just going to let them go in the woods, i have had rabbits as pets for over fifteen years but have never had a pregnant doe i am 99% sure that both these does are pregnant what i would like to know is because they are related could they stay together with kits or do i have to seperate them they do get on really well, and also you say that two rabbits should not leave together bu i have a spayed buck and doe that live together is there a reason for saying they should live on there own, as i thought rabbits liked company, thank you for your advice

Answer
Hi Nancy,

Please don't listen to the people to tell you that rabbit shouldn't be kept together.  More often than not they are breeders that don't care about the social activities of rabbits.  I would keep the two rabbits together.  Give them both a nesting box in case they don't want to care for their babies together.  Chances are they will both have the babies in the same box.  I do not breed rabbits anymore but in the past I had successfully kept multiple does together in large box stalls and never had a problem.  I also had a few mother daughter combos that I would keep together in a large cage.  I once had 19 babies and both of their mothers in the same 48x38 cage and they got along fine.  As they grew it got a little crowded and I had to make a cage modification to make sure they had plenty of room.  Just make sure there is a lot of room and they should be fine.  If they start to fight then yes you can separate them and after they raise their babies you can have them spayed and re-bond them.  Once you separate them for any length of time they will lose their bond and you will have to re-introduce them again in a neutral space.

I truly hope that you are wrong about them being pregnant but if they are you can read this article for assistance:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/surpriselitter.html

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.