Rabbits/6 day old kits with partial coat

Question
I have a lionhead pair that I acquired last year. We decided to breed for 4-H. This is our first live littlere first litter were all stillborn. Six days ago my doe gave birth to five kits. 3 of the kits have delveloped normal looking coats. Two of the kits have only a diamond shaped patch of fur on the back, and a little fur on the head. The rest of the body is quite bald. :) Just wondering if I have some strange anomaly here or if ot if this is normal? Will the kits have a normal coat eventually??

Answer
Hi Susie,

It is actually quite normal. What you have is kits with a double mane gene.  They are the ones that have really full manes and the ones you should show.  Now if you keep the ones with a double mane gene and you breed them back together you will get all double manes.  If you breed one to another breed of rabbit each of the offspring will have a single mane.

Here is a web-site to help you.

http://www.circuslionsrabbitry.com/lionheadrabbitmanes.htm

I hope this helped.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.