Rabbits/Dwarf rabbit with ear infection and tilt/ flipping

I have seen a vet 3 times in 5 weeks with my rabbit who started holding his head sideways and then unthought he was having seizures but when u looked things up I seem that it was probably an inner ear infection . I have now spent over 300.00 on this rabbit and he is no better it's stressing me and him out! First he was in pill form of baytril and the got better but only for about 4 days! He was still in the pill and took him back they gave me liquid if the same I have it to him for 5 days and he got worse and worse ! Now he can even stand up at all and his head is twisted  almost sideways . I took him to a different vet that sees exotic animals on tue if this week she was able to get a culture from the ear and it was def inner ear infection she gave him pain meds, a new higher dose of antibiotic this time it is orbax and then tresaderm drops once a day today is Friday that is three full doses of each and no improvement? When should I see improvement?

you may not see immediate improvement because there may be some damage in his inner ear that will need some time to repair.  Do not stop giving him the medications.  Follow up with the vet that gave you the topical (ear) drops and discuss your concerns with him/her as to what you're seeing and what you're not seeing (ie improvement).  But also ask for panacur (if he's not on that yet) because e cuniculi needs panacur to treat, and it sounds like he probably has this if antibiotics are not improving his condition.

Lee Meyer (Mr.)

I have 7+ years of experience with House Rabbits, rescue groups, and working with shelter rabbits. I have done many educational talks about house rabbits. I have advised potential adopters, supervised bunny 'dates', fundraising/educational rabbit events, and help rabbit owners with their rabbits. I will answer questions about: general behaviors, body language, housing, toys, bunny-proofing, diet, spaying/neutering issues, nail clips, preventative measures, diet, and health questions. I will not discuss: anything that deals with rabbits for fur, food, factory-style breeding, deliberate or casual breeding by pet owners, or experimentation.

My focus is solely on rabbits as loved pets. It's why I'm a House Rabbit Society member rather than an ARBA member. If you don't view your rabbit the same way you would a pet dog or cat, please ask another expert your question.

I am not a veterinarian and cannot conclusively diagnose your rabbit. My advice does not take the place of a good rabbit vet. IF YOU THINK THERE'S A PROBLEM, DON'T WAIT FOR A REPLY, GET TO A VET IMMEDIATELY!!! Sometimes what appears to be a small problem is life-threatening.

The House Rabbit Society has references on their site for vets they have researched. There are US and international links here for vets all over the world with rabbit experience:

I recommend the following resources to all rabbit owners:

House Rabbit Society - online rabbit info (
Book: Rabbit Health in the 21st Century 2nd Ed. by Kathy Smith
Book: House Rabbit Handbook 4th Ed. by Marinell Harriman

House Rabbit Member since 2004 Discover Your House Rabbit organizer - 2006 Rabbit Adopter since 2004 HAWS Board of Education member (rabbits) since 2005 HAWS Rabbit Volunteer since 2004

National House Rabbit Society, Wisconsin House Rabbit Society, Humane Animal Welfare Society (HAWS), Education Board Member for Rabbits, Friends of HAWS

BSEE, MSEE (Electrical/Computer Engineering), Marquette University