Rabbits/Neutered Male

Question
QUESTION: Pam, I had my Holland Lop male neutered March nth, I have introduced him to my Unsprayed female Holland, he mounts her but nothing happens.  He is in a cage, and I do let them out to kiss and say hello.  My vet said another month or so for him.  Is it ok to let them kiss and say hello, supervised of course by me, but not alone together. I do take him out of his cage for a couple hours to exercise. By the way, I'm not going to have spayed, to evasive!!!

ANSWER: If he was neutered on March 9th he does not have any of his reproductive hormones left.  The reason he mounts her is because he wants to be the boss.  The best thing to do is to get her spayed and then try to bond them.  Here are some tips on bonding.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

good luck

Pam

QUESTION: Pam, he was neutered on March 29th, I have already bonded them together, they lay beside each other and he kisses her face all the time.  I have him in a cage, and she is not, I would like to take him out permanently, I don't like him one!

Answer
If they are bonded you can take him out.  It has been over 20 days.  There may be a few hormones left but there is a very slim to none chance that he has any viable sperm left.  When they mount each other they are just trying to determine dominance.  If one does the mounting and the other just sits there that is usually a pretty good sign that they will get along just fine.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.