Rabbits/Rabbit selective eating

My rabbit isn't eating his nuggets or muesli, however he is eating a lot of other things such as watercress, grass, hay and treats. Yet he hasn't eaten any of his nuggets.
We know it can't be his teeth because about a month ago he had the back molars filed down and he was eating perfectly again after it until yesterday where he just stopped eating his nuggets.
Can you help me please?
Thank you in advance!

Hi Sasha,

I strongly recommend that you take your bunny back to the vet.  Molar spurs can return very rapidly.  The first sign is usually pellets not being eaten.  They will continue to eat the veggies because they are soft and easier to chew.  Is your bunny drooling?  That is also a sign that something is not right with the teeth.

Even if it is not the teeth this is something that can cause the rabbit to decline rather rapidly.  Sometimes the vet can prescribe a little bit of pain medication that can help if it is only a minor issue.  Without a proper examination it is difficult to tell what is wrong with your bunny.

I wish I could be more help but without seeing him I can't tell you for sure what is wrong.  I do hope that he starts eating again.  I know it can be very scary when a bunny stops eating.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.