Rabbits/Rabbit shaking

Suti inside
Suti inside  

Suti outside
Suti outside  
Hi! I have owned my rabbit for about 3 years now. I bought him in a pets hop where they had about 8 weeks old rabbits but for some reason mine was a lot smaller than all the other ones and he looked very scared. I bought him because I felt sorry for him. He is a miniature cross breed natured boy. He is very friendly, knows a lot of tricks, gets exercised daily, comes to me when his name is called and generally he is obviously not afraid of me or any family members. Still he is constantly shaking. He seems to have mood swings, sometimes he just lays there shaking and hardly moved the other moment off he goes sprinting and jumping around as if he was still young and had no problem with him. The shaking was getting less and less but ow it came back again. I am very nervous if he has something wrong with his nerves or maybe it's just a bad experience as he was weaned earlier than all the other babies? He is my best friend and Is very much loved, I would do anything for him to feel better. He goes to vets regularly as has to have surgeries on back teeth about 2-3 times a year and the vets never said anything about his shaking, I might ask next time we go. Do you have any advice? Thank you!!

Hi Reka,

You might want to ask your vet about E. Cuniculi.  It can cause uncontrollable shaking in rabbits.  It can also cause problems with balance.  Truthfully I don't know what else it could be but it warrants a trip to the vet.  

Hopefully it is nothing.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.