Rabbits/Sneezing Rabbit

I have a 12 week old Mini Rex who keeps sneezing. He is a former outside rabbit but is now a house rabbit now that I have him. I have taken him to the vet several times but he keeps saying that it is just allergies.

His nose is wet but it is clear. But his front paws are crusty. I have read that if their paws are crusty it is a bad sign. The "crust" on his paws is also clear.

My vet (who is unfortunately the only "rabbit" vet within reasonable driving distance of me) will not do a culture for pasteurella. I am very worried about the possibility of pasteurella because I have 2 other rabbits as well. I just recently lost a rabbit and I would rather not go through that again.

Does this sound like allergies?

Hi Cassie,

I highly doubt that it is allergies.  Even though the discharge is clear I would suspect a respiratory infection.  Although it doesn't always work it might work. We have had good success with Zithromax.  Some vets prescribe Baytril but it really doesn't work that well.  Some studies have been done that if you use 2 antibiotics it seems to make them get better faster.

Honestly I wish I could help you but if your vet is not able or willing to write you a prescription there is not much you can so other than finding another vet.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.