Rabbits/Combined antibiotic therapy

My 12 year old rabbit 4lbs rabbit Bonnie has been fighting an upper respiratory tract infection and ear infection for months. She was very congested and we put her on twice daily 1ml baytril and 0.25ml bicillin every 48hours. The congestion appeared to clear up but at the end of the treatment she developed an abscess on her head. The ear infection continues. Note we have cultured three times and got three different results pasturellla, pseudomonas and the last time nothing (but she was on antibiotics at that point).

We had the abscess surgically removed last Monday and changed her oral meds to Zithromax and continued the bicillin to try and attack the ear infection . However On Wednesday she stopped eating so well and we stopped the Zithromax and her appetite returned!

All looked good but last night her congestion returned very badly and she is coughing and making wet congested noises. The vet said to continue the bicillin and added 1.6ml chloramphenicol twice a day but today she is worse again and I wonder if we should add baytril orally too? I read on medirabbit that combined antibiotic therapies can be useful. If so, what dose?

Thanks - I am worried and desperate. Today again the congestion is bothering her so much she isn't eating and I worry the bacteria (whatever it is) will overwhelm her...

Penicillin,Quaratrine,and a broad spectrum antibiotic will help.

to calm her,light some lavender oil.
she has snuffles,shell be fine keep her warm,dry and away from drafts,and if possible move her to your bedroom.If her eyes are infected too then flush them out with warm water.check for infected tissue,it looks white and fatty.

having a surgery to remove the infected tissue i highly recommend!

Best bunny wishes!

I can answer all your rabbit question from teeth grinding to why your bunny sleeps at a certain time!ask breeding questions and eating questions or simply why your bunny licks you!i know rabbit language and noises and i am also a vet so medical questions i will answer as well!just any question i will answer so expect the best!

I've owned over 80 bunnies and currently have twin bunnies sasha and sushi.i have been studying bunnies since i was 3 so expect the best answer you can get.I can recommend vets homemade recipes and well just about anything you need.i have been currently breeding rabbits so ask questions about that as well!i know plenty of rabbit knowledge and am ready to share it!

I am in the following:the HRS. the rabbit welfare society. The ASCPA the no animal hungry vet school support dog training animal school the healthy pet Save the animal almost all adoption centers for animals in my area.

I'm a vet my very own building and I've studied rabbits all my life.I only give the BEST answer and my patients say all of there animals pulled slogan is "never let them die".What that means is even when your pet is totally dead i will still work to make them have breath again!i have my doctor degree.

None yet!but very good compliments.I'm only a small town vet!

Past clients are:ponco,coca,Lola,Mickey,David,skater, and just to many to count!(all of them are rabbits I've treated over 1000 rabbits!)