I have 3 Holland Lop rabbits that I show and I was wondering what the correct diet is to feed a rabbit to get it in good show condition. I currently feed them limited pellets supplemented with veggies and hay. I've talked to other people that show rabbits and they say that they don't feed veggies. If I don't feed them veggies, should I give them free choice pellets? Also, I've heard giving them rolled oats is a good supplement.

Any advice on what to feed a show rabbit would be great :)

Hello there.
Very good question.
I have been raising & showing rabbits for over 30 years, and have worked on many different diets for my rabbits.
I have found :
Rabbit pellets as a main diet about 85% comercial rabbit pellets, 10% rolled barley, and 3% dry timothy hay & 2% black sunflower seed.
The barley helps with firm flesh condition & the black sunflower aids in shinny coat.
The Dry hay helps keep them from getting the runs.
The pellets should be at 12-15% protein.
I suggest manapro or purina...walmart carries manapro.
Stay away from fresh greens of any type, except carrots, only as treats.
Good luck.

Dan Vallo

I have been raising Rabbits for over 25 Years and have raised all the breeds mentioned above along with a few others. I have been a member of the ARBA ( American Rabbit Breeders Accociation) www.arba.net since 1985.I currently have a 1300 sqft barn that is Heated and colled to maintain 7o degrees all year long. We show our rabbits all over The USA and have been in the top ten breeders during the last 5 years in several different breeds.

ARBA. NM State Rabbit and Cavy Breeders, American Checkered Giant Rabbit Club, Southwest Checkered Giant RC, Champagne De` Argent RC, National Polish RC, Sandoval County Livestock commitee.

ACGRC Bulletin, CDARF monthly news bulletin,

I Worked with a vet for several Years.

top ten rabbit breeder Checkered Giant rabbit club. #1st sweepstake winner Champagne Rabbit club 2007, #10 in 2006 top 15 in 2005,Ranked # 4 in points standings for 2008. Top points standing in New Mexico for Champagne de`Argent & Checkered giant rabbbits past 5 years