Rabbits/rabbit and terramcyin eye ointment

Hi Pam,

I saw an answer you provided to a rabbit owner whose rabbit scratched it's eye and you recommended using terramcyin eye ointment (I've heard this recommendation before)....I'm in the same boat with my male lion head and was wondering what dosage of terramcyin I should get?  I've seen 3.5 g???  Also how much to you apply to the eye and how do you apply it?  My rabbit is in good health, eating and drinking, otherwise he'd be at the vet ASAP!  Thanks, Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Truthfully as long as it says terramycin eye ointment on the bottle it wont matter what the dose is.  I personally suggest a vet treatment only because it could be pastuerella which can cause more serious illnesses to occur.  Also make sure that the area the bunny is has good ventilation.  Although I can't give you instructions on how to use the drops I can tell you that on my bunny that currently has an eye infection he gets one drop twice a day.

I do hope you will consider a vet check up just to be sure.

Good luck

OUR SANCTUARY ANIMALS ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION please consider a charitable donation to help them, all donations are tax deductible.  If you can help click HERE.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.