Rabbits/Separating un-intentionally bonded rabbits

I was rabbit-sitting my friends rabbit while she was on holiday (1 month). I kept her rabbit in my rabbits cage, they are both female and roughly 3months old. My friend is now back from her holiday and I am worried about separating the now bonded rabbits, neither of us can take both rabbits and as they are our young daughters neither want to give ours up.
Will our bunnies be fine when we separate them? How can we comfort then afterwards?

We know you should never separate bonded bunnies but unfortunately we have to.

Dear Courtney

There is no easy way to deal with this.  The two bunnies should not have been allowed to bond in the first place, and separating them now will be very hard on both of them.

What about keeping the two bunnies together, but allowing one or the other daughter to adopt a bonded pair from a local rabbit rescue?  If you are friends, then both girls can visit both bunnies.  

Alternatively, you could allow the girls "joint custody" of the bunnies, where the bunnies travel from home to home for a couple of weeks at a time.  Rabbits thrive in the company of their own kind, and I have known of rabbits to grieve to death when separated from a bonded partner.

OR, you could contact your local rabbit rescue group and arrange "blind dates" for both girl bunnies so that each can have a new companion and not be lonely if they truly must be separated. sure both are females.  It's pretty rare for two female rabbits to bond so easily, and I am afraid you might be in for a surprise in about a month after they were introduced.  Just in case, please see:

If they are both female, then it could be that they bonded so easily because they are young.  But I would not take it for granted.  And a female *can* get pregnant that young, in some cases.  I'd suggest you take both bunnies to a good rabbit vet for positive sexing, and discussion of spay/neuter:

Also see:

For all the best information on keeping your bunnies happy and healthy, please visit:

I hope this helps with some ideas.  

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology