Rabbits/White Substance Coating inside of hutch

Question
Hello,

We recently got two male dwarf nederland rabbits. They were birth brothers and have not been separated since then. They have a two tier rabbit hutch but spend all day out in the yard. The inside of the hutch is coated with white substance, I saw your comments on two female rabbits spraying/urinating on the inside of the hutch during play etc, is this the same for the males????

Answer
Hi Paul,

Yes males will spray.  They will also fight.  It is extremely rare to be able to keep two intact males together even when they are neutered.  If they aren't neutered it is just plain dangerous.  The white stuff you are seeing is a build up of calcium.  It is difficult to remove but scrubbing with a mixture of white vinegar will help.

If your bunnies are not neutered please consider having it done.  You can find rabbit savvy vets at this link

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

Good luck

Pam

OUR SANCTUARY ANIMALS ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION please consider a charitable donation to help them, all donations are tax deductible.  If you can help click HERE.

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.