Rabbits/preventing recurring stasis - bunny currently healthy

Jenny wrote at 2013-06-14 04:10:45
If your vet finds that your rabbits stasis isn't dental related, I don't know if this will help, but I got a new rabbit last year and he developed GI stasis from the stress of being in a new home.  After a couple weeks it finally started to clear up, but as he started eating his normal food, he would go into stasis again.  This happened several times, and I started to suspect that it might have something to do with his pellets.  We decided to see how he would do without pellets, and put him on a hay only diet for a few weeks, and the stasis episodes immediately stopped.  After a few months of no pellets, I slowly tried reintroducing different kinds of pellets back into his diet, but each time he would start to show signs of feeling sick again.  So now he gets hay only and select veggies(nothing starchy or sugary), and he hasn't had a bout with stasis since, and it's been several months.

I know that excess cecotropes and tiny fecals, can sometimes be due to diet, so maybe you could discuss with your vet about reducing your rabbits pellets and increasing hay, to see if that helps clear up the stasis problems.  Best of luck, and I hope you find a solution.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology