Rabbits/Older rabbit straining to urinate

Question
Hello! I have a female rabbit, not spayed, who is almost 8 years old. Today she was in her litter box and tried to urinate 3 or 4 times in a row, and only a little came out. She is already on Bactrim twice a day long term for an external abscess. Could it still be a bladder infection? Cancer? Is there anything we can do?

Answer
Dear Bethany,

Straining to urinate could be due to a number of things, including urinary tract infection, bladder stones or sludge, a tumor (possibly of the uterus) creating an obstruction, etc.  Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

But, more importantly, please get her to a good rabbit vet IMMEDIATELY for proper in-person diagnosis and appropriate treatment:

http://www.rabbit.org/vet

She may need to be spayed right away if this is an operable uterine cancer.  I hope she will be okay.

Dana
P.S. Bactrim is just about the least useful antibiotic out there these days.  Most everything is resistant to it.  I hope a good rabbit vet will at least prescribe a better antibiotic, if the suspicion is an infection.

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.