Rabbits/Rabbit is having Fungal Infection

My rabbit (9 mth old) is having Fungal Infection as advised by Vet. Affected areas are lip, around the eyes, on 1 toe and small area on 1 foot.

First visit to vet:
vet detected it should be fungal infection as no mites are found. Treatment: on oral medication (Krisovin) for 25 days (once a day, 1/5 of the tablet), on revolution & using BioSilver multi-purpose solution to clean those affected area.

Second visit to vet:
After 25 days of medication, his recovery is only at 10%. Vet checked again No mites so should not be scabies and determined should be fungal infection. Treatment: on oral medication (Krisovin) for 25 days, ivomec injection and continue with using BioSilver multi-purpose solution to clean those affected area.

Seek advice:
My rabbit's recovery is very slow and I am very concern of his condition. I clean his cage and litter box regularly. Now giving him vit c advised by vet to improve his immune system. I would like to get advice what more can I do to help my rabbit recover soon.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Dear Jowelle

Please ask the vet to try Revolution (selamectin) or ivermectin.  Even if you cannot find the mites, they are most likely there.  The locations you describe are typical of mange.  Please see:

for pictures and information.  It will not hurt to at least TRY the drugs above.  And will give you 99% odds they will solve the problem.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology