Rabbits/safe wood

Hi Dana,
My rabbit likes chewing wooden clothes pegs. I know some wood is unsafe for rabbits. I am not sure what they are made of. He is a house bunny and seems happy but should I get him a rabbit friend?

Thank you.

Dear Sue,

Unless you know what type of wood it is, I can't really guarantee it's safe.  But I really doubt the pegs are made from anything but a typical hardwood, such as beech, maple, etc.  If it's walnut (those would be expensive clothes pegs!) it could be dangerous.  Pine and fir are okay, too.  The main thing is that the pegs not be treated with anything, such as heavy metals, to delay decay.  Pressure-treated wood is dangerous for this reason.

All bunnies love companionship of other bunnies!  But spay/neuter is essential first.  Then you can contact your local rabbit rescuer to arrange "blind dates" with eligible bunny bachelorettes and see whom he picks.  (Always let bun do the choosing.)  Careful dates with supervision and help from the rescuer could give you a pair of happier bunnies.

Hope this helps!

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology