Rabbits/baby rabbit..might be injured

hello..we have wild baby bunniesin the neighborhood and my dog got one and we quickly removed him...but his one front leg is either broken or dislocated i feel very bad. we called several wildlife places left messages.. no one answrred maybe bc its late we have him in a box with grass water some hay etc...but what should we do in the meantime..please any info..he is atleast 4weeks or older

Hi Bethany

The poor little bun!

Sadly there's not a lot we can do for wildies with obvious injuries. If he made it through the night the kindest thing you can do is call around the wildlife places again or go to your nearest vet and have the bun put to sleep. It's very difficult to repair breaks in wild rabbits, just being handled can kill them with stress. There is also a high chance there are internal injuries going on you can't see, dogs violently shake their prey when they catch them.

Sorry it's not a joyful answer, hope I've been of some help.

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.