Rabbits/My bunny

My rabbit Etta last away yesterday and we don't know why, i got her from a humans society 1 year ago she was estimated to be about 2 years of age then so 3 years of age now, for the past few months she has been peeing and pooping blood and we don't know why. We brought her inside the house from her outdoor enclosure and she didn't bleed as much. She was NOT spayed. We do not know what breed she was, the humans society found her in a box on the doorstep one day in the morning, no note no info no nothing so her history is very small. I was wondering if you had any idea of what may have come over her. She was eating normal rabbit food from the local pet store from which i had bought for my previous rabbit and all lived to be 10.

Hi Kindra:

I'm truly sorry that Etta past away.  Allow yourself to grieve her loss as long as is necessary.

The only way to truly determine her cause of death is to do a necropsy of her body.  Without that, I cant give you a definitive answer.

However - based on her symptoms there's a very high likelihood that she had uterine cancer.  Unspayed rabbits have a very high rate of uterine cancer and in advanced stages - it would cause blood in the urine and stool.

I'm rather shocked that the humane society adopted out an unspayed rabbit.  It's typically against policy to adopt out any unspayed animal and especially rabbits because of how high the risk of cancer is to them.

This is nothing you caused.  Spaying her as soon as you got her may have prevented it, but the humane society should have taken care of that.

If you still have her remains, you can have a necropsy done by a veterinary lab (there is a fee) if you want the absolute cause of death - but it sounds like cancer to me.

I'm sure she was very loved and well cared for and had a very good home while she was with you.  You should be proud that you adopted a shelter bunny and gave her a good life while she was with you.

With Sympathy:

Lisa L.

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. www.rabbitzinger.com American Council of Animal Naturopathy www.raisingrabbits.com FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.