Hi Dana,

I've read that Capstar is being used off label to treat maggots from flystrike in rabbits. We are as vigilant as possible about keeping flies out of the bunny room, but the buns also have a run for playtime. I would like to have Capstar on hand "just in case" but I can't find specific advice regarding dosage. I have seen references to giving it orally and also diluting in water and spraying the affected area. I also know that I would need to follow up with the vet to remove and remaining maggots. Any advice on dosage and safety?

Hi, Susan

We've never used Capstar for a bunny, but I know others who have and say it's quite safe.  It's a good idea for maggots.  Because we haven't used it, I don't personally have a dose.  However, the good folks at Lafeber Vet (I completely trust them for good rabbit information) offer this formulary for parasiticides that can be used on small mammals, including rabbits:

Which says to give rabbits larger than 2 lbs. 1/2 a tablet, though it doesn't specify how many mg of nitenpyram are in a tablet.  (I suppose there is a standard tablet the manufacturer sells.)

I hope this is helpful.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology