Rabbits/My Lionhead

Okay so I have a lionhead rabbit. I am really worked about him. His name is Mouffie. He generally sheds twice a year in the spring and fall and I always thought it was to shed his winter and summer coat. It's the end of July and he hasn't stopped shedding. I'm really worried because he's losing a lot of hair. I'm 15 and I heard my mom say that he may be sick. I'm really worried because this  I  my second rabbit. My first one died due to pneumonia. Do you have any of what may be wrong with him.

Hi Shannon

Don't panic! As rabbits get older they get thicker fur so as they get older it takes longer to moult out! My two old bunnies have been moulting since April, I'm surprised there's much fur left haha!

As long as there are no signs of bald patches, raw skin or dandruff then its nothing to worry about. If you do see dandruff it can be a sign of fur mites which will need the vet to check out.

Hope I helped!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.