Rabbits/My rabbit has a little injury

Question
Hello there. I recently got a rabbit I named her Hop. Anyways she recently got her hand hurt. When I had her she was fine she could run and everything. All of a sudden I noticed she wasn't as active and she didn't want to leave her cage ( which she always wanted to leave ). Now all she does is sit around and only gets up for food and water. Anyways I saw her left foot she always has it back and doesn't walk on it. I want to know if her injury requires a VET visit or will she just recuperate after a few days. Be aware it does appear one hand is smaller than the other. She was normal roughly 5 days ago I got her.

Answer
Hi Andrew:

I could help a lot more if you sent me photos of the injured foot.  It's impossible for me to give advice on an injury I haven't seen.

She may need a vet, or she may not - it all depends on what type of injury she has and how severe it is.  If she's not walking on it, it's likely serious.

If it turns out a vet is needed, please do research before taking her.  Standard vets have NO medical training on treating rabbits and most are unskilled to do so.  Rabbits are considered "Exotic animals" in veterinary school so only those seeking to be 'exotic animal vets' receive rabbit health training.  

She would need to go to an exotic animal vet OR to a vet who has a lot of experience with rabbits.  Some standard vets do take extra courses to include rabbit health and will see rabbits.  You need to be sure your vet has had lots of rabbits in his practice.

Please send me photos of her foot & leg from various angles.  Also, can you bend/stretch her foot and leg.  It is frozen in an unnatural position, or can it move?  Palpate it - do you feel any unnatural protrusions or bones out of place?  Check each toe and each nail - are any of her nails grown into her foot pad?  Do you see ANYTHING unnatural?

Please follow up with photos and answers to my questions and I'll try to help you further.

Lisa L.

Rabbits

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. www.rabbitzinger.com American Council of Animal Naturopathy www.raisingrabbits.com FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.