Rabbits/Rabbits and turmeric?

Question
Just read an answer from Dana Krempels about feeding rabbits turmeric. My own little rabbit, Futte, has been to the vet many times with little infections first in his eyes, then ears, then bladder. The vet mentioned that he may have a low immune system and that's why he keeps getting them. If he has an infection I will of course take him to the vet, but it would be nice if I could prevent some of them and having read a little about turmeric I was thinking it was worth a shot.

What I would like to know is, am I running any risk by sprinkling a little turmeric on a wet salad leaf? Can Turmeric in anyway be toxic to a rabbit? Turmeric is a root and normally they are not toxic to rabbits, but many normal fruits and vegetables are and I don't want to take any risks. Do you have any experience and /or knowledge about this??

Leah

Answer
Hi Leah

I've been doing some reading and it seems that turmeric is fine for rabbits but is generally used to treat inflammation, I.e. for arthritis, not for infections. It may not really do anything for your bun.

I would recommend further discussions with your vet (and maybe with a specialist for second opinion) to see what the root causes are for your bunny's problems.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat