Rabbits/tumor or not

Question
Dear Dana,
hai Dana, I'm sanny.. would like to ask u a question according to my rabbit's jaw.. I had ever asked u a question before about his jaw last time.. the problem is getting worse.. I don't know whether it is a tumot or not.. coz it is getting huge like a big ball n very hard... my vet had given him a baytril but it doesn't work at all.. if it is tumor could it be removed? He is 4yrs old now... here I attached the pic of his jaw.. tqq dana

Answer
Dear Sany,

There was no picture attached.  

Without seeing this in person, I cannot make any sort of diagnosis.  The vet should be better able to tell you with an in-person exam, and the fact that the vet gave you Baytril suggests that this is a dental abscess/infection.  Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html

If Baytril is not working, ask the vet about changing to long-acting Penicillin G Procaine/Benzathine injections every 48 hours.  Procaine and Benzathine are the only salts of penicillin or penicillin-related antibiotics considered safe for rabbits, and they must be given only via injection, NEVER orally.  No oral penicillins are safe for rabbits.  This particular drug can be very effective for head abscesses, but it can take several weeks of treatment for full resolution.  Not all bacteria are sensitive to penicillin, of course.  So the best course of action would be to try and get a good, representative sample from the capsule/fistula itself and have the pathogens identified:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/culture.html

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.