Rabbits/Using weed killer with rabbits

Question
Hi Dana,
I have 2 gorgeous bunnies whom I love very much. I have a massive hutch for my babies but I still let them out every day for 6 to 8 hours in the back yard for a good run and play. I live with a girlfriend and she wants to Weed n Feed her lawn. How long do I need to keep my babies locked up before letting them out for a run again? I am worried because while they are out playing they are constantly grazing on the grass. I don't want my babies getting poisoned or sick.

Joanne

Answer
Dear Joanne,

NO Weed 'n Feed on the lawn where rabbits graze!  Nasty toxic, and has a very long "half life" once it's out there.

I would recommend you simply mulch the lawn with good, organic compost soil and use a flame-based weed killer (fun!).  You can get them at Home Depot:  a propane tank with a nozzle.  You point at the weed and burn it.  No chance of evolving resistance, and completely nontoxic to the bunnies.

If you treat with Weed 'n Feed it can take weeks and weeks and weeks before the lawn might be safe to graze again, depending on how much rain, etc.

I would not risk it.  Go organic.  It's better for the bunnies, for you, and the water table, too.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.