Rabbits/A wild little rabbit running around in circles?!

HI, today when I came back from grocery shopping, I noticed that there was a little cottontail rabbit with a white marked blaze forehead and I was trying to gently nudged it out to the grass by the garage. However it didn't budge much  and was running in tiny circles until I figured that there must be something wrong with the right part of the body. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the rabbit's right eyed is not clear and fully opened, but in I'm wondering did it injured itself or is it born blind in the right eye and is using the other eye to navigate the surroundings?! Your help would be appreciated ! Thanks!

Hello Grace

The poor little bub!

If you're able to get close enough to nudge even a young wild rabbit, there's going to be something more than just the eye going on with it. Exactly what has happened is tricky to say, unlikely a birth deformity as it would not have made it this far, more likely its been caught by something or it has an infection or virus of some kind.

If its still there, probably the kindest thing to do is scoop it up and take it in to your nearest vets and have it put to sleep. Wild rabbits do not do well being rehabbed unless they are very young (and even then its 50/50) and this poor little guy sadly sounds fairly far gone. If its just sitting around like that, its not going to be long before a cat or dog comes along and does the deed sadly.

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.