Rabbits/Female rabbit humping male

Question
I have been breeding rabbits for 16 years, years ago I was registered with the ARBA as Goss' Bunny Farm. I now raise pure bred Mini lops, I recently, put a 7 month old doe in with an experienced buck, It was the first time she was in with a buck. I have seen females hump the male many times, its a normal thing but this female was different, after she humped him for a few seconds she flopped on her side like males do. Thinking there was something wrong with it I checked to see if I was wrong all the times I checked her, just to make sure she was female, she is female and she was wet with what looked like male semen. Through the years I have studied every book I could find, I have learned as much about rabbits as I can, I know more about rabbits then the local veterinarian. In 16 years of raising  rabbits I have never seen this before, I cant find any information on this happening. I guess my question is, was this a female orgasm, if it could have been how could it effect breeding? Or do I just have a strange rabbit?

Answer
Hi Richard,

Obviously you have enough experience that I don't need to give you an anatomy lesson.  If you are sure the rabbit is not a male with a split penis then I think what you have is a 'strange' rabbit.  We have a bonded pair of females that have lived together for over 5 years.  Neither of them are spayed and I was watching them one day and one of them mounted the other and did the same exact thing.  I was so concerned that I immediately took her out to look to make sure she wasn't a male that I had over looked.  Now this happens frequently.  She does have some white discharge when she does this and she even falls over and sometimes squeals.  I think that it is some kind of orgasm but clearly not enough research has been done on this to know for sure.  

As for breeding I wouldn't worry about it to much.  Clearly she wants to be bred and possibly she is just getting over excited.  I would try it the worst that could happen is that she wouldn't take and if that is the case I would really check again for genetic mutations such as hermaphroditism which is extremely rare in rabbits.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.