Rabbits/Rabbits leg paralyzed after spay

Question
Hello,
I got my two mini rex rabbits spayed today (each 1 year old) One is displaying normal symptoms post surgery, drowsiness, etc. The other seems to be paralyzed in her left leg. She can't walk properly and falls over every time she puts weight on it. I haven't seen her move it since she's been home (home for about 7 hours so far) I'm terribly worried and don't know what to do.

Answer
Hi Sara:

This is a medical emergency and needs to be addressed immediately by the vet that spayed your rabbit.

The things things that come to mind are

1) the affects of the anesthesia is taking longer to wear off
2) the bunny is very sore (understandably so) and isn't putting weight on her rear leg because it hurts
3) something went wrong during surgery and a muscle or nerve was injured.

Whatever it is, it happened during surgery so only the vet can diagnose and treat the condition.  Post surgical trauma is not something that can be addressed via the internet.

If you cant get her to the vet tonight - keep her fed and well hydrated until tomorrow and call the office first thing.

I wish you the best of luck with her recovery.

Lisa L.

Rabbits

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. www.rabbitzinger.com American Council of Animal Naturopathy www.raisingrabbits.com FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.