Rabbits/broken mini rex markings/patern

Question
Hi Pam, me and my wife have been breeding rabbits for about 3 years now. We are currently getting into trying to show rabbits and have some very good quality animals we have worked hard to get. The broken Mini Rex is my favorite variety and I have been working on them for a while but I still cannot seem to get it right. I have read tons of articles and I cannot really find what I am looking for. Most of my rabbits have broken in their line somewhere, they seem to not throw as much pattern as I want though. Ive been trying very hard to get good showable patterns but they are rare. My plan is, through things I have learned and read, I want to get a solid black female with no broken in her background and breed her to a black charlie to try and get a booted(black) and then re-breed the booted black which now has broken in its background with the charlie to hopefully get well colored, well marked broken black kits. What is your advice on adding more color to the coat since they already have nice type and fur.

Answer
Hi Josh,

I am going to be honest.  If you have the type and fur you shouldn't really care about the markings.  As long as they have more than 10% and less than 50% they can be shown.  Your idea of breeding a solid black to a charlie will give you 100% brokens but you are not guaranteed to get a booted.  If you breed a booted to a charlie you are more apt to get more charlies.  My best suggestion is to keep trying and what your looking for will pop up.  Otherwise you may have to go buy what you are looking for.  Markings tend to run in certain lines.  I had a line that gave me all blanket patterns.

I don't know where you are but the ARBA convention is coming up in October.  You could find just about whatever you are looking for there.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.