Rabbits/Floppy Ear

My bunny is an unknown breed and roughly 3-4 months old. About a week ago, one of her ears flopped down and stayed that way. I assumed she was some sort of lop since, but today both her ears are fully erect. I was curious why her ear did that. For the past couple of weeks it has been really hot, but since yesterday the weather has cooled down quite a bit. Is there a possibility it's due to the weather, or is she sick?

Dear Sophia,

I've had a bunny do this occasionally with no obvious reason. Sometimes a bunny can flop ears down because of an ear infection or mite infestation.  At the age of 3-4 months, your bunny might also be showing signs of expressing the lop mutation, but is only partly expressing it because she's a hybrid and may not fully express the trait.

For complete peace of mind, you might wish to have her checked by a rabbit-experienced veterinarian:

to make sure she doesn't have any problems with her ears.  But if she shows no further signs of ears drooping or irritation in the ears, it might have been a passing thing, possibly due to her genetic heritage.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology