Rabbits/Hind leg problem

Dear Dana,

I'm sending You my bunnies hind legs x-ray.
Month ago I found my rabbit walking with one leg raised and the blood on the floor, next day he tried to jump on pouffe,but I've heard that he didn't and felt down. Next day he couldn't move his hind legs, but tried to eat. Looks like he was paralyzed (and the one frond leg look like also was). Vet didn't wanted to do a x-rays and gave him some kind of hormone and enroxyl, because there may be an abscess on left hind leg and may be neurogical problems. Hormones we gave 2 times, enroxyl 18 days. rabbit all the time was eating, walking on 3 legs. But I've mentioned that rabbit's hind leg foot looks very strange: it easily moves to left and right, when rabbit tries to have a scratch with left leg, looks like it didn't works. I've called to the vet, he did x-ray and said, that joint have crumbled and there is no guarantee if we do an operartion, because rabbit bones are very fragile. Also he said that is no need to strap up and the rabbit can live with 3 legs. also he said if the leg will puff up or began worse, than we can amputate it... Now I think, maybe there was no abscess, maybe he had broken his leg and vet didn't mentioned that, but now is 1 month after all that accident... I didn't trust that vet anymore, because my rabbit after x-ray was ok only after 8 hours and I'm not sure if vet has enough experienced in healing rabbits... Maybe there is any possibility to heal the leg and maybe is something seen on x-ray (isn't some foot bones broken or etc.)?
I'm looking forward to hear from You...
Thank You for taking time to respond to my letter.

Kind regards,

Dear Egle,

I am not a radiologist.  But it looks as if there is a badly-healed/healing break high on the femur of the right hind leg, just below the ball-and-socket joint.  There is almost no way to stabilize a break like this without surgery, though one can hope that the bones will hold together well enough for them to knit and give him some support.  But the leg will not likely be completely normal again.

If the leg is flopping around and not usable, then it may still be broken and not healed.  You might try to find another vet who can do more to help your poor bunny than just leave a broken leg untreated for a month.  :(  Please try the international listings linked here:

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology