Rabbits/New bunny momma

Question
I have had my New Holland Lop for about five months now, and I am assuming he is about 8 or 9 months old, however I am not sure. But I am a first time bunny momma and i just wanna make sure that I am doing things correctly. I just want to know what i should be feeding him, right now it is a pellet "fake fruit" mixture with some Timmothy hay. For treats he gets cilantro and parsley daily. I change his litter every 2 days and clean his cage every week. He is fixed and had a checkup (hes going back in a few weeks for another one). but i noticed that he is molting and i can feel his hips and spine more so than i could before..i am just wondering if this is normal or if i should be worried. I have been seeing the "chain poop" because he has been eating carpet, but it hasnt been that much of it and I have made sure that he hasnt been eating carpet any more. I guess i am just looking for all of the help and advice i can get because i love Bentley with all of my heart and I want to live a long healthy life. (: Thanks again!

Answer
Hi Lexi,

You need to get him pellets with nothing in them.  The colorful pellets are extremely dangerous.  You also need to feed him some good quality hay.  I like the Oxbow hay because it is kiln dried and the bunnies love it.  I believe you can order it from Foster and Smith or another online store.

If you are seeing stringy poop you need to take him to a rabbit savvy vet.  It sounds like he is developing a case of GI stasis.  You can read about that here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

You can find a rabbit savvy vet here:

www.rabbit.org/vets

I wish you luck with your bunny.  

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.