Rabbits/Something strange in my rabbit's eye

I have a three year old... I think her breed is called a holland lopso, or lop. She's colored like a wild cottontail except for white spots on her nose and paws. I don't know if that description helps anything but better safe then sorry.

The fact is, she's recently developed.... Something, in her left eye. Her irises are icy blue, and in the left eye, its like that coloration is spilling into her pupil? It has a glazed look. Like ice over the pupil. It's not too horribly obvious, but its enough to be noticed.
Her pupil dilates just fine, and she seems to still see just fine from that eye, when I wave things next to it for instance. But what is this? I'm thinking its probably serious enough to see a vet over, it looks very strange, but it doesn't seem to be physically effecting her. I haven't a clue what caused it.
Any ideas? Any thoughts? Do you know what this is or what should be done about it?

I'm a little low on money so if a trip to the vet isn't altogether necessary, if there's some treatment that can be given at home, that would be great.

Dear Kirsten,

Without seeing the lesion, I can't really tell what it is.  It sounds as if it could be a cataract, an intra-ocular abscess, or even a corneal ulcer.  Any of those should be checked by a rabbit-experienced vet, though a cataract isn't really treatable.  The others are, though.  You can find vet listings here:

If her eyes are runny, please read:

to find the connection between eyes and dental problems.  They are very common in Holland Lops.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology