Rabbits/traveling long distance

Question
I am located in Australia but am moving back to the US permanently in december. I have a 2 1/2 year old healthy female rabbit (desexed), she is a house rabbit with limited car ride experience.

I would have to put her as cargo from sydney to LA (13-14 hours) and I would use a pet travel company, she can have food and water but no hay. I would bring critical care with me to give to her when we landed in LA.

do you think a rabbit is able to make that long of a flight? Any tips on flying/traveling with a bunny would be very very much appreciated. Also anything to do to prefer her for the long flight? In the end I want to do what's best for my bunny.

thank you so much

Answer
Dear Caitlin

To be honest, I would not subject my bunny to a 12-13 hour flight in cargo. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

There are airlines that accept rabbits in the cabin, but I'm not sure they fly from Australia to LA.  But now is the time to start checking.

I wish I could tell you there were things you could do to make such a long flight in cargo safe, but I just can't honestly tell you that.  So now comes the hard part about searching for alternatives, special permissions, or even re-homing her with a trusted friend.

Not the best.  I am sorry I don't sound more positive about this.

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.