Rabbits/human illness contagious to bunny?

Question
Hi Donna,
my husband was just diagnosed with strep throat and the flu. are either of these contagious to our bunnies?? we are always on the floor with them and are obviously concerned for their health. he is staying away from them at this time.
thanks,
JC

Answer
Dear Jeannie,

Sorry for the delay due to a family emergency.

The good news:  Your bunny cannot catch illness from a human virus like these.
The bad news:  If a sick person pets the bunny, viruses and/or bacteria can get on the fur, and the bunny can act as a fomite, spreading the pathogens accidentally because of human carelessness.

So be sure everyone washes his/her hands well when sick, and doesn't sneeze or goo on the bunny, and everyone should be fine.

Sorry again for the delay in answering.  By now I'm sure everyone is well again.  But at least you'll know for next time.  :)

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.