My buck rabbit got in with my doe rabbit and im not sure how long ago it was, i didnt think nothing of it untill the other day when i was feeding her she was carrying straw around in her mouth and i know that means there going to have babbies, that was 3 days ago , so i have been watching her to see if she is making a nest but she hasnt so im confused since i dont know when she might have got bred, i dont know when there due, she is very aggressive and wont even let me touch her right now to possibly check her she is very fat so im sure that she is, why did she carry straw then stop? And how long after she carrys the straw will have babys? Thank you

Hi Julie:

Your message to me was submitted while I was 'maxxed out' so it went into a waiting pool.  I'm finally catching up on all of them.

Your doe may be pregnant or she may be experiencing a false pregnancy.  When a doe is mounted by a male and she doesn't get pregnant, she will go into a false pregnancy.  She will do all the same things as if she were truly pregnant.  Gain weight, eat more, drink more, become agressive, her mammory glands will enlarge, she will carry hay and make a nest and most even pull fur to line the nest with fur.  The only difference between a false pregnancy and a real one is that in a real one - kits are born!

If you doe truly is pregnant, they generally begin building a nest around day 26 of their pregnancy term.  A doe stays pregnant for 31-33 days. Going beyond 33 days is very rare.  If her pregnancy is real, she would have the babies anywhere from 5-7 days after nesting.
It's possible that she IS pregnant, but failed to make a complete nest.  It is not uncommon for does to neglect to make nests for their first litter and its very common for rabbits to completely abandon their first litter; leaving them to die.  She may be pregnant and be a doe that has no interest in being a mom.

I hope this helps.  please let me know if you have other questions.  I have many more in the waiting list, but will look for any follow-ups from you.

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. www.rabbitzinger.com American Council of Animal Naturopathy www.raisingrabbits.com FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.