Rabbits/My rabbit has irregular stool

Question
My rabbits stool is runny and copious (an elongated one kind of like babies). He is normally very good about using the bathroom in his cage or litter box but has been using the restroom continuously in different areas, kind of exhibiting an uncontrollable manner. He has been sitting still in one area not totally relaxed. The only change in diet has been from regular timothy hay to timothy hay with rose petals because of availability in the store. He is eating normally and still drinking water but not a lot of it. What should I do???

Answer
Hi Caroline,

I suggest that you take your bunny to a rabbit savvy vet right away.  If there is any change in habits it can indicate a serious health issue.  Bunnies will hide their illnesses until they are seriously ill.  Any time you notice a change it could be the only sign you will see before he becomes seriously ill.

I wish I had answers for you but without seeing the bunny and having a vet test for illnesses and parasites, there isn't much I can do.

You can find a vet here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.