Rabbits/Our rabbit Sniffels

Question
QUESTION: Hello! I wonder if you could help me, the skin on my rabbit is really dry and looks like dandruf, where its been so dry the skin has a slit and there is a small opening wound which I do not know how to hep it heal! Its a small rounded patch in the middle of his back, he is 8 years old and healthy. I would appreciate if you could give me some advice on how to help the wound heal and help the skin from being so flaky.

Many thanks,Katrina

ANSWER: Hi Katrina

Sorry to hear about your bun. The most common cause of this is fur mites, they are not like fleas and visible but are quite a bit smaller. Get your bun to your bunny-savvy vet and have them look at a skin scraping under a microscope.

Your bun is best treated after seeing a vet for a proper diagnosis.

Hope I helped a little?
Cat

QUESTION: Hi Cat! Thank you for your answer we took sniffels to the vet he said that he has mites and it is known as walking dranduf and gave her a injection(jab), he said that  sniffes would need another jab next week if he is not better.How do you know if he is better? He took his fur with the brush everything was very fast and Sniffels was very upset I didn't feel the Vet handle the apointment very well, he didn' t say about side effects.Could you please let me know yoir opinion and  if a second jab is necessary? Thanks again
Katrina

Answer
Hi Katrina
Glad he's had treatment and a diagnosis! Mites are common in rabbits.

If you're not happy with your vet you can always get a second opinion from another, make sure they are exotic and a bunny savvy vet! Rough handling isn't appropriate for anxious animals like rabbits.

If he's looking better you should see dandruff almost vanish with no itching or discomfort.

Good luck!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat