I have rescued two rabbits that were born in captivity and are about 5 months old and keep them in a large cage.  I want to know if I section off part of my large yard and install fencing that they cannot get through will they burrow out.  I was thinking of putting wire fencing bent at a 90degree angle so they could not dig near the fencing.
Thank you for your attention to this question.  I look forward to a speedy reply.
Joy N. Love
171 Crenshaw St.
Mobile, Al 36606

Dear Joy,

Sorry for the delay due to an ongoing family emergency.

For all you need to know about rabbit care, please see:

Outdoor housing is not ideal, and in Alabama you need to be sure to provide protection from weather and temperature extremes.  To "bunny proof" a yard, it's generally advisable to install a concrete footer at least 24" deep at the base of the fence, and *at least* cat fencing along the top of the fence to exclude most predators:

This won't protect against hawks, though.  A complete covering of the enclosure will be necessary for that, and the buns will benefit from plenty of bushes and hiding places inside.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your new pals!

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology