Rabbits/Baytril dose for UTI

Hi Cat
My bunny Moshu was diagnosed with UTI. Since I come from a nation that isnt very rabbit savvy, we diagnosed UTI solely on the basis of symptoms and no tests. (Symptoms were urinary incontinence, sudden increase in water intake, excessive lethargy, decrease in appetite, urine scald, peeing in small quantities, uneasy posture and strain while urinating)

My vet prescribed Moshu Enrofloxacin at 25 mg once a day (Moshu is 6 months old and approximately 1 kg) for 21 days.

I want to confirm whether or not this dosage is right. I can see improvement in terms that her appetite has improved, there is no urinary incontinence, the fur loss around the genital region has stopped and she isnt peeing in small quantities.

Hi Avantika

I'm afraid I'm not a vet and I'm not particularly good with doses. You could try asking this on this forum where there may be others who have dealt with that particular medication and UTIs

With those symptoms I would recommend asking if they can check the kidney and bladder for stones, rabbits have odd ways of dealing with calcium intake, and excess calcium can cause painful kidney and bladder stones - basically causing the same issues with pain peeing as it does in humans! Excess water intake can indicate kidney issues also.

Glad to hear she is improving though! Make sure you keep her nice and clean downstairs.

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.