We have a one and a half-year-old neutered half mini lop rabbit who is very much loved and I have noticed for quite some time that he will not eat any of the hay we get him. He loves his pellets and fresh veggies etc but will not eat Timothy or orchard hay. Any suggestions?

Try another source for your hay products - tap into your local bunny rescues, or go with another small animal rescue (guinea pigs, for example, have similar diets) to see where they get their hay from and see if you can get onboard with their sources if they're different from what you have access to. Sometimes the cut of hay also matters - some bunnies prefer the coarse first cut of hay while others prefer the softer and thinner second cut.

The other thing I can suggest is to switch bun's pellet to one that is hay-based to sorta sneak in the hay. Mazuri makes a good one: http://www.mazuri.com/rabbit.aspx

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.